Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Precious endorsments

If I were the author of a newly released book, I would kill for one key endorsement: Oprah Winfery. However, it seems Oprah has decided to endorse movies too.


According to an article in Time magazine, Oprah, along with other important names, are working on the release of "Precious." The movie is based on Sapphire's book “Push” and is set to come out with a limited release Nov. 6.

Here is a summary I got from Yahoo:
"Clareece "Precious" Jones is an overweight, illiterate African-American teen in Harlem. Just as she's about to give birth to her second child, Jones is accepted into an alternative school where a teacher helps her find a new path in her life."

I recommend you watch the trailers before you write this movie off, they are a lot more moving and powerful than this description.

Oprah and Tyler Perry are two of the producers and Mariah Carey plays the part of a social worker. These are all big names that carry with them a lot of great publicity.

However, the article mentioned that Oprah plans to use her fame and authority to further promote the film. She said she planned to use her show, magazine and satellite radio channel to "bring in different audiences.”

Sounds great to me, but I don't really see the effort being made on behalf of Oprah or anyone else. I don't recall seeing any promotional work on this movie besides the trailers I found on Yahoo.


I have seen more promotional work on "A Christmas Carol." This tells me that Oprah should step it up and start working that magic of hers.


So have any of you heard of this movie, and if so, how do you think Oprah is doing with the promotional aspect.







1 comment:

  1. I haven't heard anything about this movie, however the support of Oprah Winfery is a powerful tool to promoting the movie. She has a lot of power and can spread word of this movie through numerous avenues. It will be interesting to see how her efforts will affect the popularity of the film.

    ReplyDelete